22 October 2009

Jambo, Jambo sana



Mama Tembo Kalenga, I even had to pause typing these words because of the way they twirl in my mind. Mama Tembo is the director of SHADE, though in our first staff meeting (where I was looking mainly at a room full of talented African Woman) she explained how she just likes to be known as a leader, not someone who barks orders.

Mama Tembo has 12 younger siblings and all the younger one she got into South Africa after there father died in the Congo. They are Zambian, but grew up in Congo. Many are related to the youth group here or SHADE (such as Vixa) but everyone else is like family too. And there is incredible respect for Mama Tembo.

Joyce is Mama Tembo's eldest daughter of 5 and incredibly friendly. She is helping at the office until she starts university in January. We met this joyous person at church on Sunday, where she mentioned to her mother we must go to there home for a traditional Congolese meal. I figured it would be at somepoint before we go to the conference in Congo- but I am quickly learning if Joyce even mentions something it will happen. Mama K explained she is the eldest in her family so she has a lot of decision making power and responsibility with her siblings. And we are pretty sure she has taken us under her wing as sisters so dinner happened as will getting Congolese outfits made for each of us.Joyce and I at the office, there weren't enough chairs.

Joyce's sisters made the whole beautiful meal and are very good cooks. One stayed home sick, but she ended up having to cook most of the day and the others helped after they got home from school. And I think they have the most energy I have ever seen a group of girls having. They sing and joke and are just wonderful people, whom are teaching us. They also instructed how to present dinner and wash hands, etc. These will be important for me especially to learn because they are customs I will have to use when visiting sites and elders. The food was incredible, we liked everything and it truly was a feast. We also started to practice all the names of the foods, but need a little work.

Most importantly there is pap (pronounced pop) which is the sustenance food (like bread or rice). It seems like it takes a lot of work to make and at some point we are supposed to learn how, because if we can't make it well our doweries will be lower. It kind of looks like mashed potatoes in the bowl but is more firm. Below Vixa is showing us how to ball it to use it to eat and soak up all the good juices. L-R Joyce, Vixa, and Freddy (another of Mama Tembo's brothers). And then Clifford looking at the TV and Rachel and Jen enjoying the meal.



However, while the girls were cooking Mama Tembo came home and shared her story with us. It was the first time we had really gotten a chance to talk to her, but I can barely express here how much the experience meant. Many here have powerful stories, but Mama Tembo told her whole story and as such an important figure in our lives it was an intense yet peaceful time. There is such a dignity in these stories, that I thought they would drain all my energy, but instead they are almost fuel. And in the midst of incredible seriousness, as she calmly spoke her girls and family are in the next room singing and laughing. I need a word better than beautiful and strong and hopeful to explain. This moment will always be part of my Africa experience and I am so happy it happened during our first true time to talk with her alone.

Then she asked all of us to share our stories and I am very glad I got to hear so much from my strong counter parts. So much happens in a life to shape us and we often take for granted or think we understand from pieces of peoples stories, when sometimes we only know a very litle bit. I actually had a lot of trouble trying to tell mine. But I think there is no greater honor then soaking in others stories. I will work on telling my own.


Oh Yombo is a Swahili greeting...

I don't know how to say goodbye yet,
Cheers,
Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Very nice to see pictures of the folks you are living and working with. God bless you all. DAD

    ReplyDelete