13 January 2010

beyond my little world

Lots and lots to write about here. But I have a little internet
access today and one of my roommates told me about the earthquake in
Haiti.

I had to stop what I was doing at work to try to take it all in. The
poorest country in the Western Hemisphere and such massive devastation
with such poor infrastructure to provide for the needs of the people.
I thought it was fitting to stop and take a moment to think of all the
people affected, from the people that face such stark poverty, to aid
and government officials, to tourists....


Also from a prayer my Dad compiles for Mt. Olivet UMC.

"For the people in the Nyanza province of Kenya, where 90 percent of
the population experiences extreme food shortages and poverty. About
five percent of the people die each day. And for UMCOR as it partners
with the Emergency Relief and Rehabilitation Program for Nyanza
Province, a project of the United Methodist Church in Central Nyanza,
to provide food relief to 20,000 malnourished children, the elderly
and disabled, expecting mothers, widows, and internally displaced
persons."

We discuss social challenges on a daily basis, but I think these
should be brought to our attention. I am sure UMCOR and The General
Board of Global Ministries(my employer as a Mission Intern) are also
trying to do something for Haiti and I would encourage everyone to
look into the situation. Though I am sure all of you get better news
than I do.

gbgm-umc.org/umcor/

Thanks for reading! more on life in South Africa soon.

Pensively,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment