11 July 2010

World Cup!

With everything going on I can't believe I haven't blogged about the World Cup.  I mean watching the World Cup its self was enough to take away a lot of my time.

But I had the grand opportunity of going to two games while being here.  Tonight we are going to a Fan Park to watch the final.  And we have watched countless games with friends, all memorable events, its been an exciting competition.

Prince, Mama Judy's 7 year old son, and arguably one of my best friends here has been learning all the flags with his sister Priscilla and a little bit about all the countries.  And for everyone else it is a huge part of life as well.  Lots of healthy rivalries. 

But watching the game is like something else.  My ability to follow sports is generally just saved for the finals.  If I go to a game or make up my mind to watch it (we are talking any major sport here) I can get into it.  But generally other things come first so I am not going to concentrate on a whole game.  Well I am a fan of football/soccer anyway because I love how many people play and come together.  I love the energy at DC United games, and I'll say it here- but more than Nationals Games. 

But the World Cup has captivated me.  Some players names I just scream because I love the sound.  If you listen to the announcers you pick up when they are so concentrated and make very funny comments.  I learned how all these teams plays and knew when something was off.  I am telling you I have been captivated by the players, and the good and bad calls, and the attempts and successes that are amazing.

Now actually being at the game is a whole different story.  On TV I just want something to happen, I want the excitement to start right up.  But being at the game every moment is exciting.  Maybe its almost too much stimulus to just focus on the game. 

Especially at the Cote d'Ivoire vs Brazil game I felt before anyone scored that anything is possible.  It was harder as Brazil continued to score and its truly exciting, but I think I really anjoyed that sense of possiblilty.

Okay roommates are waiting for me to finish so we can go.

Tonight's for Netherlands, which is so crazy to see so much support here with all the Dutch history.  So much is possible for change and people and its nice to see how the crazy World Cup can take hold of the nation.  (More on my comments and issues with FIFA soon.)

FOR TONIGHT LETS SEE A GREAT GAME!  GO NETHERLANDS!  ORANGE it is!

Halala,
Hannah



--
Hannah Hanson
Mission Intern - SHADE
South Africa
hannahatshade.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment