05 March 2011

Purgatory

It seems a good time to blog in my life is waiting for a flight. Purgatory. This is a bit how I viewed our 8 hour lay over in Frankfurt Germany on the way to the US.

You see until the last minute I was sending goodbye messages on my South African sim card. And on the other side I’d be telling my family I landed safely. But in Germany I had no access to communication with any of the worlds, no befores or afters. (I could have I am sure if I had been willing to pay the money.)

Literally all there really was to do was wait. And arriving at 5 am makes for a tiring layover, and I figure if really in purgatory one would have a bit of a headache and having nagging fatigue.

(Please note the use of purgatory is only for illustrative purposes and does not reflect my religious views or any idea of how God and life work.)

And then you wait for a voice to call you and tell you your wait is over, continue the journeying and please make sure to fasten your seat belt. Somewhere watching lots of movies on those little screens come in.

And in some way all the emotions get put on hold, those emotions of see you laters and hellos. I really don’t have a life in Germany, I just happened to be there. The truth is maybe the wait time is necessary and much less of a purgatory. The over 35 hours of travel wasn’t too bad, no bus ride through Zim and Mozambique to Malawi- but just fine.

And now I have already completed the first leg of my US travel and had to say goodbye to my brother and Meridith after a few days hideaway staying in North Carolina. And a little bit of a delay to right this blog. I am headed to Atlanta for debriefing and looking forward to seeing all my friends just back from their placements. Its great to be seeing so many people this month and maybe the leaving will get easier with all the arriving, but for now it just feels like a lot of leaving.

So I guess the plane rides and journeys are needed to regroup and be ready for the next place. Cause the big trick to all of this is being present where you are, which is sometimes hard when you have just left home.

No comments:

Post a Comment