10 April 2011

Howard Heiner

Maybe it’s a circle of life or maybe it is just part of life. I opened an e-mail this morning from the United Methodist Missionary Association sharing of the passing of Howard Heiner.

I am a bit new to these circles in direct ‘missionary’ ways, so don’t know Howard as a colleague like others in the association. However, Howard and his wife Peggy have been part of my journey with this program. During my road trip around the country I stayed at their house in Ashland one night. They know and worked with my parents as well and on the list of people I stayed with journeying around America old church members and missionaries were actually some of my favorite stops. I stayed with the Heiners after I had returned from my discernment weekend, but before I knew I was accepted as a Mission Intern.

It was a lovely visit. I was energized by their story and delighted to know them again as an adult able to hear and learn.

So my prayers are with the Heiners today. They blessed me with some of their faith and experience in this journey I am on. It is a different kind of mourning to me, when the voices that helped me to get to this place are no longer a phone call away.

No comments:

Post a Comment