23 May 2011

airports

more on transitions...

I love airports.

What I really love is the feeling of going somewhere new or the adventure/journey continuing. And the plane ride is the time to stare out the window in a very calm state on my own, reflecting on the excitement. Sometimes coming 'home' from places is a bit sad, but its exciting to see the people who are waiting at the airport. I like knowing exactly what I need to do at the airport and walking down the long hallways. I like staring out the windows and catching up with people before boarding. I like frequent flyer miles. I like treating myself to a coffee or meal. (though I think its funny, because its more expensive on the outside and I rarely treat myself then.) I love traveling, but the early morning long layovers can be kind of rough. I love people reading all the names in my passport and the comments.

I attribute my true excitement to that fact I got to travel with my parents as a very young child. We may have never had a membership to a pool, but we had clip on wings! It was an adventure just in the airport. (I do not remember as well all the stress of travel my parents went through for me. But I still hold with me the sense of calm when you get to the seat and have nothing to worry about until you land.)

I am the same way about liking to have something bigger to look forward to on the horizon in my schedule.

I thought about this some during all my travel coming back to the US from South Africa and going to midterms etc.

It is more bittersweet to fly and transition now. Now going somewhere new, means really having to leave somewhere else. And I think the someone else's are always the hardest. I think the list of places I want to return to grows as well, but the realization that one place makes it easier to live the way I like with people. At the same time I couldn't imagine being 'grounded' and I gain so much from all the places I go and people I meet.

In the last week people have heard about my program and life and the new response is, isn't that a lonely life?

I reiderate: Bittersweet.

sometimes lonely, sometimes lively, and a lot of day inspiring and heart-wrenching.

The plus about flying now though, is my legs are longer and I am better at sleeping on planes now. The independence of flying alone at this point isn't so important; it's nice to text my family on departing and arriving.

I still love airports, I still love the possibilities and the people on the other end. I just sometimes wish my detours were in places not listed on my ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment