11 March 2012

To be heard, we must listen

I was recently preaching at a church. In-between the services I stayed near the coffee to greet the people at the church. It was interesting how much people had to share with me. I truthfully did very little talking. However, in my listening we built a connection. And when we finished a conversation people thanked me for how much I had shared.

I had been pretty nervous to share in a church I had never had any interaction with. Generally if I am speaking in churches it is in a small group and I learn something about the people through our dialogue. It is easier for me to meet and listen to people so that what I say can relate to them in a positive way. But standing up and talking about immigration, when you have no idea what your audience thinks is a good learning experience.

But for a lot of people I think they gained a lot more from me, because in the down time I listened to them. Some wished to instruct me and I garnered what was useful from their advice. I am not sure everyone left on the same page as my sermon…

But I am sure they heard more of what I said, because I took the time to listen and learn about them.

And I was blessed to learn about a new group of people.

1 comment:

  1. Listen has been my word for the year, two years in a row. I am a slow learner. Glad you are getting to it sooner than I did.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete