14 October 2010

Transitions: The Update

I have been a bit out of touch on true updates and some good stories. So I will try to do a quick update on how my service has changed in the last few months.

The students graduated from Espoir Training Centre at the very end of June, in the midst of World Cup chaos. I only mention this because the students were incredible soccer fans as well, so I think we were al over exhausted preparing for graduation and giving our all to being soccer fans. Graduation at De Deur Methodist Church was full of life and I was so proud of everyone that filled the church that day. The students were beautiful in outfits they had made after learning to sew.











The follow days students slowly left making the much awaited journey home after being away from home, children, spouses, and communities for many months. And as they went home, our community here got smaller and smaller. I had some things for the Centre to wrap up and I don’t think it was until after July was almost over that the other shoe dropped and the rest of the emotions about saying goodbye to dear friends hit. I ask that you continue to pray especially for all the students as they readjust home and practically decide how they will best serve their communities with their new skills. I am excited to be in touch with everyone when possible and just wish I could visit everyone.

As mentioned in the three previous blogs, after the centre ended and the work around it was finished up- we directly went into spending our time in the hospital for three weeks.

During this time it was decided that the three Mission Interns at SHADE could be of greater service in other projects under the Methodist Church of Southern Africa. We were asked to wrap everything about the centre up and with such a big project just finished other plans for SHADE had to be re-evaluated.

I think everyone made good decisions and it would have not been the correct timing to complete some of my other dreams for the rest of the time at SHADE. However, dreams are still there and my strong dedication to the work of good people at the satellite projects. My prayers stay with them, even if it is not in the works to visit and support in different ways. I think it was time to face that times of transition need to be made though and especially with organizations and the church.

So during July we finished up with SHADE and had a rather hectic for the storybooks move into the city. We thought it would be a transitions place as we were all assigned different places to work, but actually Rachel and I were both placed in the area so for now it seems to make the most sense not to move another time during out placements. And I love it. The night we moved Lucille was with us and inbetween all the hecticness of the change we were all talking out the day and I ended up falling asleep while we were talking on a mattress on the floor in a sense of peace I hadn’t had for a while. Anyway I actually love living right in Joburg and staring out the window at all the buildings and watching cars go by on the highway, and most importantly being able to walk places!!

My Dad and Jane came at the beginning of August for an awesome visit and holiday and lots of time to just be. More on that later.

Jen then moved to Cape Town to serve in Plumstead, with some great people and communities in need. I had the honor of going to see her two weekends ago and being back in Cape Town was lovely. Despite a robbery- but always good to have good people around you when you have to sort things out.

I started working on a project at the Mission Unit, that Rachel joined in after she returned from traveling. I really enjoyed it actually and it helped me understand the church here better and get to know some really interesting dedicated people.

Which leads me to where I am today. In September I was assigned to a mission project in Benoni about 40 km east of Johannesburg. I am now working at Bula Monyako (meaning Open the Door) the mission outreach of Benoni Central Church. Right now I am being trained in many things and learning all the projects of Bula. I actually feel really blessed to have the opportunity after a year in South Africa to be learning a totally different side of South Africa and many more things, by working with South Africans. Bula Monyako is a VCT clinic and does community outreach, working with children’s programs, gives out food parcels, and also has other counseling available. The first day with co-workers that mainly speak Zulu to each other was a bit rough. But they have accepted me into the fold quickly and we are learning a lot from each other and laughing everyday.

Thank you for your continued support and reading this. I hope that you can help keep all these communities in your thoughts. Many touch issues, but people that are working toward progress far beyond quick fixes or easy answers.

Blessings,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment