30 June 2011

For Our Neighbors

After 2 weeks of traveling to conferences (that I was actually quite impressed with). I came straight back into work as we had our Orlando Clinic on Tuesday night, and both the national attorney and our new attorney were overlapping.

We have clinics one a month in the areas we serve so potential clients can meet with the attorney. They are held in churches so we can also offer hospitality and so there is a possibility of linking to a community. The clinic is really the only place volunteers meet clients, as so much is done between the client and the attorney in confidentiality. Some people our attorney can serve, help with filing paperwork or represent. Others do not have a legal pathway at this point, and can only be advised. This free advice is very important though, because unfortunately there are a lot of people who charge a lot of money pretending to do something that cannot be done.

A. I was happy to spend a little time with both attorneys. I am excited by our new JFON attorney in Florida and even more so because she seems interested in outreach to the community. This will make working together really great and it will be easier to achieve the whole mission of JFON. She is very dedicated and from what I can see (and understand) I respect her work. Also just having someone else in the office is mutually beneficial for us.

B. I like clinics. I love spending time with people and for right now its really my only set up venue for education. This week I was giving information on the DREAM Act as the hearing in the Senate had happened that day and nationally we were pushing to get the house to hold a hearing by calling in out support of the DREAM Act.

Now all of these things are important to share, but its hearing peoples stories and showing solidarity that is the best.

One family had called a few times during the day for directions. They said we they were in Orlando at 3pm. I was a little worried about them waiting, but explained the clinic did not start til 5pm and there would be no one there before then. The woman said they were coming from far and wanted to make sure they got to Orlando in plenty of time to find everything.

(I think at every clinic I have been to at least one family has come from over 3 hours for a chance to talk to an attorney.)

At the end of the evening I was trying to give them extra fruit to take for their journey. They explained they were staying in Orlando for the night, because they did not feel as safe driving in the dark. So I told them to take it for breakfast. I had no idea if the attorney was even able to help them.

Then as I was saying goodbye to a volunteer the family said goodbye as well. They had not planned to stay in Orlando, our volunteer must have heard their story and invited them to stay with her for the night. So all three women left with out volunteer, who had humbly provided even more hospitality. I would have never known of her providing for her neighbor had I not been in the room at that moment. She asked for no recognition, but simply made sure people that had just come into her life had a safe place to stay.

Moments like that make me proud to work where I do.

Moments like that make me remember what we are called to do.

Moments like that make me believe it is possible for a positive change to come.

we can't all do everything, but we can all do something.

blessing and hopefully,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment