05 July 2011

Define American

Pulitzer Prize winning Journalist, Jose Antonio Vargas wrote an important article a few weeks ago for the New York Times. I am sure many of you have seen it, if not click here. It is a different kind of coming out story. He is now working on a project to Define American. See more here

This is exciting work for me as my current work is right in the same line. How do we have a genuine conversation on immigration? How do we dialogue? (Haven't quite gotten there yet in Orlando, but definitely meeting some good caring people, that are learning a lot fast.)

But I was posting this somewhere and read the last line again. It hit me now living in Disneyworld country. all over the world it's acceptable to dream about mickey... what other dreams are acceptable?

"My mother told me I was excited about meeting a stewardess, about getting on a plane. She also reminded me of the one piece of advice she gave me for blending in: If anyone asked why I was coming to America, I should say I was going to Disneyland."

No comments:

Post a Comment