07 October 2011

DREAMers and Organizers

My friend Mayra, who inspires me and pushes us all to do more. Check out a local article on her below.


Again in my last blog the crux of the issues is human suffering (and its human suffering in our neighborhoods) and an attack on human dignity. I know I should be more careful or provide better explanation.

But instead let’s talk about something that gives me energy. I said I worked with some incredible people. As we are in the last few days of the DREAM Sabbath, I am inspired by the small things I have seen happening as DREAMers tell their stories. I am inspired as I see interest and care grow in groups I was unsure would really listen. In Africa I wrote a few times on the importance of sharing stories and how it was asked that everyone (all) shared stories. My friend Lucas was speaking to my young adult group and someone thanked him for sharing his story. He eloquently responded with gratitude and that they all had stories of such important worth as well. Its moments like this all my “lives” connect, the same themes are necessary.

When I speak about HIV, I explain how my journey with stigmas and fears developed. I did not think I really had any, until I realized the day when I truly did not care or question what your HIV status was. Of course I would care if you share anything with me or need something. But a person’s identity is not a disease.
The same has happened here. I was driving some friends one day. They were asking me questions about South Africa and as I got into the conversation, I realized due to their immigration status they would not be able to travel to South Africa until something changed, or maybe ever. It wasn’t this moment I really thought about the difference of driving and depending on what state we were in their status really does make a difference in whether I drive them or not – legally. I do not change, and they do not change as people if we are driving and cross a state line.

As my friends who have been working on the DREAM Act are baffled that it hasn’t been passed yet, I start to feel old. Or maybe more excepting of a reality that shouldn’t be there. Or know that while they are organizing like veterans of this moment, there are others that have been in it over 10 years. I am still inspired that the people I learn from in terms of organizing weren’t even 10 when the DREAM Act was first proposed. (I think community organizing is the best part of my job, and it is only a very small part.) Not that age is a big thing, just startling sometimes when you are in a Board meeting and someone who seems your age and in the grand scheme of things is, but they share they are 17.

So let me stop rambling and share a story of my friend Mayra with you.


http://www.theledger.com/article/20111002/NEWS/111009877?tc=cr

No comments:

Post a Comment