28 January 2011

Amen Sisi

Sometimes you just connect with people. Some days I just want to be doing more at Bula. I want more projects, but I also want to respect the balance. And sometimes I just need to be there waiting for who drops in.

Some days it is someone who just really needs someone to listen. We have counselors, but sometimes they don’t make it to the appointment. And I have the time to just be patient and listen. I have the luxury of getting back to what I was doing later and listen.

Sometimes everything out of a person’s mouth is what they think I want to hear and a lie. Some days it is important things. On days like today I wish I was certified as a counselor, so I could keep the trust people start building with me often in the reception area. But I have the ability to be straight with people or listen or give little ideas in the role I play.

Some days people come in and see me speaking English and avoid me like a plague. My colleagues are often disappointed in these people and know they could speak English if they wanted to. But the issues people come to Bula Monyako with are personal, so no one needs to be my best friend. I try to give them space and have other people work with them. In other situations I’d want to build more understanding, but I have no judgment for them. They are already judged enough or worrying what their status is.

Sometimes grannies and old men come in. Some that struggle with English or writing, but we communicate beautifully. We connect and I am able to assist them, or they are able to explain something.

Today some cans fell out of food parcels so I went quickly to the two pensioners that had been given parcels to check. I guess I grabbed one of the bags quickly and the man said “ohh do you work for the police.” I said no I don’t. He was playing some but said, “That’s the type of thing they used to do, they could just grab things from you or do anything they want.” I apologized and explained I just wanted him to get everything he was supposed to. I apologized a few more times after that and he said he knew he was just explaining about the police. As we were finishing the conversation I said very sincerely, “Well, Mkhulu I am very glad that this country has changed since then.” And he said, “Amen Sisi (Sister).”

Some days we learn, sometimes we pray. Some days we connect and things move forward. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment