03 January 2011

the time of the sunflowers

I think this year I have had more time to get to know a place. Living and growing up other places before I think something I miss, or others things are such a part of our seasons we know to wait for them.

In South Africa though, I either take better note, or am not used to it so little things stand out even on busy days. One thing is the flowers on the side of the road. Right now its particularly the highway.

Last March(after the rainy Ireland misty morning look) we got into the time of the pink and white flowers that are photoed on this blog from around that time. Or when the jacaranda trees came out and those glimpses of purple would make me stop what I was saying and just look.

But the last three days, I've noticed the sunflowers. I've seen them here before, but now almost as if they are trying to drive down the highway they are right at the edge looking one way or another. And it was totally unexpected that there would be sunflowers there for me. its like little surprises that are little gifts to make the world a little more thoughtful. In the grime and deep rains- there are sunflowers.

So we have reached the time of the sunflowers. not too big, not to small, but friendly and bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment