09 January 2011

Will you use the faith you've found to reshape the world around, through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?

Probably the most important evening and maybe the only one that truly felt like Christmas last year, was doing a hymn sing with Jen's Hymnal.

This year a few weeks before Christmas I was leading a service and was looking through the Faith We Sing (as that is all I have now that Jen and I are in different cities). I was with some friends so we were going through different songs everyone knew, and then I came across the Summons.

So while my mom was here right after Christmas we were signing again one night and of course I kept coming back to the Summons. I really love the tune as well and I think that helps.

I also think its really powerful that every verse ends "in you and you in me" This kind of relationship seems fitting for my understanding, for journeying together and growing. They are not easy questions, though the tune can kind of lull you, but amidst the power of the question is a peace.

The Summons

Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?
Will you go where you don't know and never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown? Will you let my name be known,
will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?

Will you leave yourself behind if I but call your name?
Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?
Will you risk the hostile stare should your life attract or scare?
Will you let me answer prayer in you and you in me?

Will you let the blinded see if I but call your name?
Will you set the prisoners free and never be the same?
Will you kiss the leper clean and do such as this unseen,
and admit to what I mean in you and you in me?

Will you love the "you" you hide if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?
Will you use the faith you've found to reshape the world around,
through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?

Lord your summons echoes true when you but call my name.
Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.
In Your company I'll go where Your love and footsteps show.
Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you in me.


And maybe I also struggle with some of this. "and admit to what I mean in you and you in me?"

But again I think its incredible to ask this invitation of growing in God and God growing in us. Its about answering and changing ourselves and what we portray to the world. But also letting ourselves be cared for, being open for the good and the challenging. its radical stuff, radical lyrical stuff.

Will you love the "you" you hide, if I but call you name?

No comments:

Post a Comment