07 January 2011

unexpected places for real ideas and news

I am very impressed by the way some news is shared in South Africa.

For instance

In the mornings driving to work you hear about the pop stars etc, but the commentary is also on real news with a real interest in it. One day an economist explaining what the strength of the rand means with the intelligence of a true economist, but humor to keep it interesting and accessable. Its not perfect, but the combination of music, fluff, commentary and news impresses me,

In another instance

One of my co-workers had the magazine from a major discount clothing store here. Kind of like an edgy more clothes focused target. So I was expecting the whole magazine to be a catalog of the clothes and discounts etc...

To my surprise less than a quarter was directly advertising their products. There were sections on how to compare prices grocery shopping and tips on savings programs. In another one an explanation of different types of life insurance. Honest pieces on the new information law out lining medias concerns on censorship power of the government or on the new child protection laws here.

I actually learned quite a bit from this catalog, including new healthy recipes. And the crossword puzzles over lunch with my co-workers don't hurt.

There is something refreshing about selling products, but also sharing ideas in a forum that reaches a good portion of the population.

works for me,
H

No comments:

Post a Comment