10 January 2011

Excited Cook

A few nights ago, Rachel and I were looking in the house for something to cook. We found the bag of black beans my mom had brought for me. Of course I hadn’t had time to soak them overnight, but somehow we decided to head forth on the course.

So I did what I could and then as I started cooking them, I decided to make morros y christianos. That way the beans would have some time to cook with the rice and other ingredients. And I could share a bit of “my” Cuban culture.

Well it didn’t turn out perfectly, definitely edible, but as I wanted to share something I wanted people to have the chance to love it as much as I do. So I started making excuses and warning people before they ate it. Just so they wouldn’t be disappointed. And maybe a bit so they would tell me I was wrong and it tasted good.

Well we had leftovers and a different friend over, so he also got my preface to eating it. And then we discussed why I needed to stop doing that.

When someone is giving a speech we always tell them to be confident and not preface with problems or fears. People will have more confidence in listening.

One of my best friends here, Lucille, cooks with that kind of joy and confidence. So this week, the lesson I decided I needed to take is from her. Lucy will look at the ingredients we have and decide on something that sounds a bit crazy sometimes. Often using tuna in ways I would never think of and at the time aren’t the most appealing. But knowing and cooking with someone over a year, when she starts getting excited about a new creation we all do. She’ll talk about how great it will be and then if she tastes it its pure joy. She’ll say its turning out so well. And then while we are eating she will enjoy it so much, that everyone talks about how good it is.



She doesn’t have to wait for other people’s reactions or being told she did well. No not Lucille, she starts enjoying it before we even get to that, and we enjoy it so much more because of that. And we have come up with some great combinations.

This week I decided, instead of worrying about the food or putting it down, get excited about it. It is going to taste incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment