31 January 2011

January 31st: Project Jan complete

If you have been following closely I may have not always posted everything on time. But now the month is complete, and I promise I didn’t get to half the things I set out writing. I hope this helps tell some everyday stories from here though.

January was a good month. I have had to start dealing with the fact while days aren’t always easy, I love it here. That this is my life and these people and stories have made is possible for me to truly live in South Africa. I listen to traffic reports now and know where all the areas are. While my American accent is still a dead give away, I know the diversity of communities in this area better than a lot of South Africans. So while this is home and I feel strong it, I also have to prepare to take the next steps in my journey.

In less than a month I leave this place I love. Some people are saying its going to be so strange I’ll never see you again. I ask how do they know that, but for people that have never traveled away from the town they are from I understand the concept. Its far and a ticket can be half a years salary. Others look at me and say I know you will be back.

The song Hear I Am Lord has been coming up a lot and the line I have been thinking of is “I will go Lord if you lead me, I will hold your people in my heart.”

Sometimes it is a rough and beautiful thing when you realize how serious all these words are…

No comments:

Post a Comment