26 January 2011

The Price of Avocados

When I was visiting my friend Katie last April in Malawi, we had lots of avocados and friends of hers sent me back with some that I carried on the 40 hours bus ride home. And then we ate guacamole. After this I decided I needed to stop being cheap and enjoy avocados. This took a bit of time but by the time we moved into joburg and had street markets to get more avocados. The way I saw it 3 rand was much better than $3 in the US. (3 rand is about 40 cents USD)

Then they started going out of season – but I got to accept that 5 or 6 rand would be okay everyone once in a while. And I began to say what am I going to do without avos.

Well today as few vendors still sell them, I saw them in the store. They looked about, but this out of season thing I try to take seriously and I walked right by the beautiful green with little heartache.

I don’t miss my avocados as much and I was worried about. And I must remember the blessings of living places where you eat what is in season, instead of what’s been shipped across the world to be in season.

I really believe there is a lot to be said environmentally and culinary creatively to be said for eating in season. So maybe it’s the price of avocados… but I’m enjoying new things and will have to go back to avocados as a special treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment