29 January 2011

Cradle of Humankind



















We have lists. Yes lists of things we want to do and people we need to see before we have to leave South Africa. Rachel calls it her bucket list.

The Cradle of Humankind was on both of our lists. My mom and I had actually wanted to go when she was here, but I finally got the hint the last day she was here it was more important just to sit around talking then getting all the sites in.

So we called Lucille, fetched her in Pretoria, and headed out to Maropeng. This is a site where many fossils have been found especially of pre human primates. So I was imagining more outdoor type things etc. And we had heard about a boat ride…

Well there is another cave sight you can go to, but the museum is supposed to be very good so we opted for that. I was quickly reminded of my anthropology classes, the museum of natural history, and a fancy interactive science museum.

The boat ride was through all the four basic elements, but it was dark right before you got something, and I am sure many children come out the other end crying. I may have been a bit frightened a few times, so didn’t get the full appreciation of the development of elements.

What I was most impressed with however, was the social awareness that was evident throughout the museum. The contributions modern humans are making to speed up the next extinction phase. Sort of a where we are from, how we have developed, and the good and bad coming from it. And of course how important bi pedalism is… but also communication etc.

It was a good day for the ladies to be out and thinking…

No comments:

Post a Comment